2005-01-18

Why Unix Still Sucks In Many Ways

I thought it was funny to run into "The Linux Incompatibility List" (http://www.leenooks.com/). It lists hardware not compatible with Linux. I am sure it is by no means a complete list, but let's check it out and see if I have ever used anything that is not compatible with linux... Soundcards: Guillemot Maxi Studio (i had to get this when it came out because it was the first consumer card I was aware of that had RCA *inputs* for excellent audio capture quality when doing video capture) Webcam: Creative Webcam Go (fortunately, it is a piece of crap anyway, but we still used this one for years... under windows) Webcam: VEO Stingray. (This is our current webcam brand, dunno if the model is the same.) Video cards: ATI Radeon 9550, 9800, 9800 Pro, 9800SE, and 9800XT on x86_64: ATI's Radeon driver doesn't work at all with 64 bit Linux Kernels. OUCH! I consider an ATI card (with s-video tv-out) to be the foundation of a good system. TV-OUT on other brand cards does NOT live up to ATI quality. I have used an ATI AIW, ATI AIW Pro, ATI Radeon, Radeon 8500, Radeon 9700, and Radeon X600. Their drivers for windows suck which explains why their drivers for Linux suck even more. Video cards: ATI Radeon All-In-Wonder: No TV Tuner. (Good thing I used my VCR--and windows--for tv tuning!) So, it looks like I have been using at least 1 piece of incompatible hardware in at least 1 computer since 1995 (when I got my first ATI All-In-Wonder). Not to mention that Redhat 6.2 doens't support Soundblaster for Quake3. Let's face it boys... Linux isn't ready for the common man yet. Computers are supposed to be Swiss Army Knives that can adopt, adapt, and improve with the situation. Linux is anything but. They adopt new hardware slower than unix which means if you want to stay on the cutting edge of capability you have no choice but to use Windows! That being said, I vastly prefer any webserver or email server to be running Unix. (Though, mine run under Win2K.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home